Monday, December 5, 2011

Jesse's Quilt

Ta Da!
Introducing my best quilt yet.
(Modeled by Jesse.)
This Thanksgiving we were finally able to meet our oldest nephew, Jesse. I have made a quilt for every baby in our family and for most of our friends' babies, too. Since we had not met Jesse until now, he didn't have a quilt. That bothered me a lot; it seemed unfair. But, what is a cool quilt for a 13 year old boy? I looked through my (copious) stack of patterns, narrowed it down to a few and we finally decided on this one from this book. I took a chance by choosing fabrics with sparkles, but how can you replicate the night sky in fabrics without sparkles? Then I went to work and made the entire quilt in the one week before Thanksgiving. I locked myself in my sewing room all day, every day, for the whole week. It was fun and a challenge to do it that quickly. I did think I might go mad when I was sewing the 96 triangles together in one shot; it took me 2 hours and I don't think I changed position in front of my machine all that time. Needless to say, my legs were numb and I was ASU. It was totally worth it and I would do it all over again, especially when I saw Jesse using it and enjoying it so much. That makes it all worth it!

Here is a better, less fuzzy, view.

2 comments: