Wednesday, October 27, 2010

November roses

When it's still 70 degrees without a hint of frost, the roses bloom happily through the end of October. You'd think we would realize that after living in L.A. for so long, but it's still a happy oddity. What a strange autumn! Here, I can enjoy warm weather late in the year, because I know that all too soon it will be snowing heavily. In California, this kind of autumn weather drove me crazy because I knew it would never actually become cold. Most people think I'm nuts for saying that, but I love that the weather here is always changing -- you can feel the rhythm of the seasons in every leaf, in every waft, and in every raindrop. It somehow feels more eternal this way than if it were always the same.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I need all the seasons. They all help me appreciate the other ones. I wouldn't appreciate the heat and humidity without the cold, dry winter, and vice versa. And Autumn and Spring are just wonderful anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete